Friday, October 28, 2011

is steampunk the ultimate rust best chic asthetic?

When someone told me my personal fashion was "steampunk" six months ago, and I have to admit it was the first time I'd heard the term.

An insult, I know, for those heavily interested in the steampunk genre, but since the remark I've been researching various forms of the steampunk design movement from special exhibits at Maker Faires to DIY Victorian weaponry and gadgets on YouTube.

In a twist regarding the local steampunk movement, artist Rob Joki is adapting his yearly production of the Rocky Horror Picture Show at Youngstown's Rust Belt Theater Company to have more of a steampunk visual influence.


 

So thanks to Rob and The Rust Belt Theater Company, 
Steampunk meets Rocky Horror in Youngstown.

Reprinted at "The Boiler Room News", but originally written for the Vindicator (in a really well written and explanatory article), Joki's costumes are hand-made and use recycled and repurposed materials.

Along with the Zombie Prom at the Calvin Center, this version of Rocky Horror should keep you in the Mahoning Commons this weekend. (link to both events)



So in looking at the various aspects of steampunk fine and performing arts, is steampunk the ideal or ultimate design in the aesthetic of rust belt chic?

- - -

btw, is it better to be gypsypunk or steampunk?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think gypsypunk and steampunk can co-exist.

Unknown said...

I think gypsypunk and steampunk can co-exist in equal amounts of awesomeness.