Sunday, November 27, 2011

Youngstown's new chicken & waffles restaurant is open from midnight to 6am

Last Saturday evening, was heading south along Market Street then made the turn onto Southern Boulevard (toward St. Dom's and the Boulevard Tavern) and this sign was flashing, full of light:


Can this be?

A new restaurant in the city which OPENS at midnight?

Enter "Annie Mae's Chicken & Waffles"

Fast forward one week to tonight, and a trip to this oasis around 3am both confirmed their hours and provided to our crew a great & tasty meal.


Annie Mae's Chicken and Waffles is located on the site of the former restaurants over the decades such as "The Oven" and "Busy Bee" and a Jamaican establishment as well, and has a huge kitchen with ample seating . . . which was mostly full at 3am.

Here's a picture of my plate:
a delicious & fluffy, yet crisp, waffle with sweet butter and a fried chicken breast on top. with a smattering of additional syrup.
Sweet and savory!


Here's a friend's plate who ordered the grits, which sometimes are hard to find locally. (at least good grits)


The Uptown area was very vibrant at that time of night, with many folks walking over from nearby establishments or parking in their adjacent lot.


Even though the late-night hours were a nice bonus, looking at the front of their menu, Annie Mae's has daytime hours as well.

From the menu, their hours of operation:
Monday to Thursday - 7am to 8pm
Friday and Saturday - 7am to 6am
Sunday - 7am to 8pm

- - -

If you're looking to support small businesses in Youngstown, give this place a try.

I've been to Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles in LA, and lived next to Gladys Knight's Chicken & Waffles in Atlanta, and just taking the waffles, Annie Mae's waffles are better than both.

Seriously.

4 comments:

WD said...

I love me some chicken and waffles!

However, they completely stole the logo from Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles, which is very uncool.

WD said...

Here's the actual lifted image.

Peggy said...

From a designers' pov, yeah it's very uncool to use the logo of another business or website. IF it is a copyrighted logo, and if the other business wanted to persue it, they could sue... and win.

But I'm going to try the place out anyway. :)

Anonymous said...

From the time I heard of this new place couldn't wait to try. At 11:30 pm I drove from New Castle, PA to arrive by midnight. To my surprise the restaurant was closed. I thought I had the wrong place so I googled it and confirmed Iit. Waited for 15 minutes and no sign of any activity. Not a light on in the place. One would think if you are advertising "great" things on a new establishment someone should at least be in the kitchen to at least start the waffle iron. I left with my mouth watering and don't think I'll be back. It's now 12:30 am and headed to C Staples. At least I know he's open!!!!