Tuesday, October 06, 2009

the excitement of buying a house in the city of youngstown - personal stories

A trend has been popping up online - people writing about their decision to purchase a home in the city of youngstown.

The most recent example comes from today's edition of RustWire, featuring a female in her late 20s who works downtown and purchased a 1927 craftsman-style home on the south side.

she wrote:
"I began my search in Youngstown, focusing on both the north and south sides of the city. I first moved to the north side of Youngstown in 1999, stayed mostly in the city for the majority of my time in college, and then found an amazing job in downtown Youngstown.

Being familiar with living in the city, especially the north side, I had no apprehensions about moving back."
wow, check out the woodwork:


the piece ends:
"My goal is not only to live in Youngstown, taking great care of my house but also my street, block, and city. There are many good people and homes left in our city, still many great neighborhoods with architecture unknown to the modern contractor, yet to be discovered."
- - -

These types of stories are important.

They not only illustrate the facts on the ground - that people are choosing Youngstown - but they can also help others who are curious to form their own path to live here.

It's possible the path may illustrate to other readers a jumble of true feelings: apprehension, excitement, pride of historical craftsmanship, accomplishment, etc.

Here's the vibe from another new local blog, a recent newcomer to the Mahoning Valley:
"This is like something out of a dream...I can't believe that we might--ok we will?--get to have this house! I imagine myself snuggling into this house like a blanket on a cold night and never leaving..."
some are discovering the history of their Youngstown house:
"I spent some time this week doing research into previous owners of our house on the north side, part of the Crandall Park-Fifth Avenue Historic District. The research involved simply reading through the city directories from the ’20s through the ’80s."

"1927: Alfred O. & Mary K. Stuart. Alfred was chief clerk at First National Bank on 10 West Federal. The bank was the “oldest national bank in Ohio” and the third oldest in the U.S. (Not sure what qualified it as a “national” bank and what the difference is between that and anything else.) Their previous residence was 221 W Madison, and they later moved to 143 Park Avenue."


Here is a reoccurring story:

If you are a person looking to live comfortably while maintaining your costs - as a retiree, an artist, a writer, a software consultant, or a consultant with your choice of three major airports within an hour's drive - the city of Youngstown may be a great fit for you.

says another:
"I’ve spent the past twelve years moving around from apartment to apartment, and now I have this whole place and neighbors and a street (a tiny little street, which feels like its own little community) and, and, and . . . it feels really different being a homeowner than a renter.

And I hadn’t expected that.

It’s a good thing, I think, to feel that you have a place of your own."
- - -

These simple, yet personal stories each come from one person's experience.

Do you have a relocation story to share?

Youngstown - you can be a part of it.

1 comment:

Robert Pilolli said...

I purchased a home that was slated for demolition in 1992. My family and friends thought I was crazy and I was labled an "Urban Pioneer".The task of renovation was a daunting task and proved to be a great passion for me. It took over 10 years to complete. The home was built by the Stambaugh family in 1897 and will now grace The corner of Wick Park for another 100 years. Anyone who shares the same passion to restore a house from the ground up can do it. Any hurdle can be overcome and the end result is very pleasing. I will help anyone interested in aquiring a property to restore and lend what ever knowledge I picked up over the years.