Tuesday, March 06, 2007

how I ruined my toffler book


Readers:

From time to time, I would like to extend to you the wisdom that many many years on this earth has doth provided me.

So I give you . . . Janko's ninth law:

never keep fresh fruit loose in your backpack as one travels by horse.

- - -

I learned this last summer as I was galloping across western wyoming with friends and two things in my shoulder pack: an apple and the book "Revolutionary Wealth" by Alvin and Heidi Toffler.

The landscape was beautiful . . .




. . . but after an hour into my trip, my pack began to feel like a damp towel, seeping moisture into my t-shirt.

And in the end . . . carnage.

The apple, now primarily applesauce, did a number to Toffler's text:


- - -

Why mention this story?

Well, Alvin Toffler will be speaking about this same book, "Revolutionary Wealth", this thursday March 8th at Stambaugh Auditorium at 7:30pm.

attendance is FREE, and parking is plentiful and FREE.


Toffler's book in a nutshell, looks at the history of wealth and speculates on the future of wealth, in the context of a rapidly-changing information-based economy. He is one of most widely read authors on the planet over the last 40 years, his most famous book being "Future Shock" written in the 1970s.

He has consulted multiple countries, economists, and public officials over the years, and working with Congressman Ryan's office and YSU’s Paul J. and Marguerite K. Thomas Colloquium on Free Enterprise, he will be speaking in the city of Youngstown.

please join us.

me and my disfigured book will be there.

- - -

For those coming from Northeast Ohio and Western Pennsylvania,

Stambaugh Auditorium is located at:
1000 Fifth Avenue
Youngstown, Ohio 44504


www.stambaughauditorium.com
www.stambaughonline.com
wikipedia Stambaugh Auditorium

parking is behind the building, opposite from 5th Avenue, and often people park along Wick Park and the neighborhoods just north of the university for events there.

- - -

side note: happy 100th post to Shout Youngstown. hopefully the next 100 posts will be as fun as the first 100.

No comments: