Monday, January 26, 2009

a leading proposal

Fresh off the contest to award a bottle of absinthe to the winning designer of a city limits entrance, two proposals are leading the pack.

Here's one from "J.R.":

"I consider it incomplete, because I wanted to leave the idea open to interpretation. As I think is obvious in the image, I propose a series of somewhat abstract sculptures that, when viewed from a distance, spell "Youngstown."

The materials can vary. They could be cast concrete. They could be plate steel. (similar to the fence around Star Supply's parking lot) Maybe the individual pieces are like the penguins, and given to local artists to embellish as they wish.

This all allows the sign to be briefly experienced, instead of just passed.
"
I'm opening it to our readership to comment on "experiencing vs. passing" in public art.

any comments?

and a big kudos to J.R. for sending in images along with his idea.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude, I really like this idea. It has to be steel, and it has to be given to the artists to paint each piece separately. It's perfect for a pedestrian park somewhere near the River!